Our Curriculum Vision
Our curriculum offers exciting opportunities that our children would not normally have access to in their day to day lives.
This year we are excited to be reviewing the Bishop’s Curriculum and the teachers have been working hard to create a bespoke curriculum that meets the needs of the learners in our school and takes them beyond the national curriculum to an exciting and ambitious world of learning.
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Inspired by Jesus’ promise to his people, it is our vision that the curriculum at Bishop’s Church of England Primary Academy will
At The Bishop’s CE Primary Academy we hold the children at the heart of every decision made regarding the curriculum. We recognise each child as an individual, ensuring our teaching specifically targets their learning needs, develops their social skills and nurtures their unique talents.
We believe that if children feel SAFE and HAPPY, they will LEARN well. We understand the community we serve and know that many of our children can begin their school career with lower than expected social and emotional skills. For this reason we focus on relationships, are attachment aware in our interactions and ensure that the children receive a high quality PSHE/RSHE curriculum woven throughout all areas of learning. Our school is a family with strong core beliefs, developing in every child our key values of respect, service, friendship, forgiveness, courage and perseverance.
We know that on entry to school many of our children present with limited or below age expected language and vocabulary skills. For this reason our curriculum design ensures that every possible learning opportunity in school is enriched with models of high quality spoken language, the sharing of subject specific vocabulary and the use of high quality texts and resources.
- focuses on English so every child will become an avid reader, a fluent writer and a confident speaker.
- focuses on mathematics so every child will become a confident, skilful mathematician.
- begins with the children’s current knowledge and what they wish to learn throughout a unit or topic. This ensures that our children ‘buy in’ to their learning; feel valued within the class and recognise their successes.
- puts thinking and questioning at the heart of our curriculum so that children are encouraged to explore, enquire and extend their learning by talking, linking ideas and understanding.
- identifies gaps or misconceptions in learning and works tirelessly to address these, revisiting skills over time to ensure that learning is relevant and that every individual achieves their full potential in time.
- aims to provide a wide range of outstanding teaching and learning experiences rooted within a rich language curriculum so that every child learns new things every day and is motivated to attend school.
- provides opportunities to work with our community to develop knowledge and understanding using our unique and diverse local environment to celebrate where we live and how events here have impacted on the county, the country and the wider world.
The intent of our curriculum design and delivery encourages our children to develop a lifelong love of learning so they are able to have greater choice as they move on to secondary school and beyond. High quality teaching and learning experiences provide our children with the best opportunity to reach their academic potential and learn key skills for success.
We work to ensure that every child in our school is happy, safe and protected from harm. We will always work together within the school community, with universal services and with wider professionals to protect children from maltreatment and ensure they grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care. We have a Safeguarding Policy which sets out our legal responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children, stating our legal duty to refer our concerns to other services, if we suspect a child is being harmed in any way.
Please click the link below to view our SEN provision
EAL at Bishop's
If you would like further information on the curriculum we teach, please contact the school directly.